Goddard News An RSS feed containing the latest news, images and features from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.
- Hubble Views an Intriguing Active Galaxyon March 31, 2023 at 11:00 am
This luminous image from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope shows Z 229-15, a celestial object that lies about 390 million light-years from Earth in the constellation Lyra.
- NASA-enabled AI Predictions May Give Time to Prepare for Solar Stormson March 30, 2023 at 5:40 pm
Like a tornado siren for life-threatening storms in America’s heartland, a new computer model that combines artificial intelligence (AI) and NASA satellite data could sound the alarm for dangerous space weather.
- Hubble Finds Saturn’s Rings Heating Its Atmosphereon March 30, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Saturn’s vast ring system is heating the giant planet’s upper atmosphere. The phenomenon has never before been seen in the solar system.
- NASA Awards Snow and Ice Distributed Active Archive Center Contracton March 29, 2023 at 7:25 pm
NASA has awarded a contract to the University of Colorado-Boulder, for the management and operations of the Snow and Ice Distributed Active Archive Center, part of NASA’s Earth Observing System Data and Information System.
- NASA Missions Study What May Be a 1-In-10,000-Year Gamma-ray Burston March 28, 2023 at 6:00 pm
On Sunday, Oct. 9, 2022, a pulse of intense radiation swept through the solar system so exceptional that astronomers quickly dubbed it the BOAT – the brightest of all time. After spending months combing through the data, astronomers now better understand its scientific impact.
- NASA’s Webb Measures the Temperature of a Rocky Exoplaneton March 27, 2023 at 3:00 pm
An international team of researchers has used NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope to measure the temperature of the rocky exoplanet TRAPPIST-1 b.
- NASA’s Webb Telescope Receives Michael Collins Trophyon March 24, 2023 at 7:30 pm
NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope team has been selected to receive the 2023 Michael Collins Trophy for Lifetime and Current Achievements. This annual award from the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum honors outstanding achievements in the fields of aerospace science and technology, and their history.
- NASA Prepares for Historic Asteroid Sample Delivery on Sept. 24on March 24, 2023 at 3:00 pm
NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft is cruising back to Earth with a sample it collected from the rocky surface of asteroid Bennu. When its sample capsule parachutes down into the Utah desert on Sept. 24, OSIRIS-REx will become the United States’ first-ever mission to return an asteroid sample to Earth.
- Hubble Snaps a Galactic Jellyfishon March 24, 2023 at 11:00 am
Streams of star-forming gas dripping from the disk of galaxy JW100 are formed by a process called ram pressure stripping.
- Hubble Monitors Changing Weather and Seasons at Jupiter and Uranuson March 23, 2023 at 2:00 pm
Hubble – as interplanetary meteorologist – is keeping track of the outer planets’ weather, as it does every year.